Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Silence is Golden?

Sorry, friends. It has been a while! Things have been crazy in our household lately... hubby is working insanely long days and the weather has been far too nice to stay indoors! But I'm still here with sanity intact..... for the time being anyhow!

I've been doing a lot of reading in 1&2 Timothy during my quiet time this past week. It's so interesting to read what all Paul had to say about the early church and how the body should behave and compare that to our churches now. Are we staying the course?

I've always found 1 Timothy 2:11-12 especially interesting and it's restrictions on women in the church. It reads: "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent."

Houston, we have a problem.

I think back on all of the women of God I've heard speak and how they've impacted my walk and wonder if this can really be true? Are we to remain silent?

There are two main schools of thought on this topic. One, yes, we are to interpret this exactly as it stands. Women should not be permitted to teach within the church. And two, one must interpret Paul's words in the appropriate context and time in which they were written.

There was a lot of confusion that lead to false teaching in the early church. Women during this time period were uneducated and socially inferior to men. It is believed that they were at a larger risk of being persuaded and swayed by these false teachings (see v. 13-15). Therefore, this restriction was placed to avoid unrest in the early church and to prevent women from teaching false truths and distracting the early church from it's purpose. This is elaborated on in Paul's letter to Titus, whose responsibilities were similar to those of Timothy's, and which was written at approximately the same time.... "... teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live... then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children.... and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God." (Titus 2:3-5).

After reading this and doing further research, I feel especially thankful this morning for the knowledge God has given me. I am thankful for my family and for the women in my life who have taught me to be a good mother and loving wife. I am thankful that we live in a time where being an educated woman is not only appropriate but encouraged. And I'm so thankful to Paul and the early church for spreading the word so passionately and thoroughly that we can share in His glory today, nearly 2000 years later.

Thoughts, comments??? What are you ladies thankful for this morning?

2 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

It is nice to be able to study the word on our own and with our husbands and to research and to find our own Christianity and walk with the Lord. I enjoy the teaching by the preacher but also studying on my own.
Great post.

Heart2Heart said...

I loved the insight into your blog post this morning. I also feel that this particular scripture refers to a woman taking authority in her own home, taking the place of her husband who is supposed to treat her like Christ treated the church.

Therefore when a husband is speaking, I believe a wife should be respectful towards her husband in all things. However could you explain Joyce Meyer and Beth Moore just to name a few woman preachers.

As long as they are called, I am sure that God knows they are women! Great post!


Love and Hugs ~~ Kat